Thursday, April 29, 2010

French Cuffs

Today I returned the white french cuff shirt you asked me to buy in March. As you tried it on over your tee shirt and sweater, you pulled yourself erect and set your jaw. Observing the image of the young man who once worked on Wall Street. Remembering when you wore suits with designer names and you were a force to be dealt with.
I had wondered at the time why you wanted the shirt. You hadn't put on a dress shirt in years.Even before the second stroke 5 years ago. Your stance was shorts or full dress.
Your desire for the life you once led became stronger and clearer as your kidneys became more distressed.
You were once so hot to the touch I loved to snuggle up for warmth in the winter. You came to feel the cold, even in the heat of Florida. You wore long gym pants tees and a blue cashmere sweater that matched your eyes. I won't return the sweater so I can wear it on days I need to.

No comments: